March - Sparrow Cove, Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. The
hulk of the Great Britain was beached here in Sparrow
Cove in April 1937. Originally built as a steamship and
launched in 1843 the ship was a classic of its time. The
hulk of about 3000 tonnes was resting on the bottom and
the tide rose and ebbed without giving a movement that could
be felt aboard. When the ship was converted to sail in 1882
the iron hull was clad in pitch pine wood that discoloured
over the years. The natural waterway entrance to Stanley
Harbour is in the distance beyond a dark bed of kelp seaweed.
- MPP Microflex Twin Lens Reflex with F3.5 77.5mm Taylor
Taylor Hobson lens. Film Ilford HP4 1/125 second F 4. Developed
by hand in Stanley in the darkroom of John Leonard a local
photographer using Kodak Microdol at normal dilution.
- SSGB 69-02-10a © Tony Morrison
In 1970 the original hull designed and built by William
Paterson was taken from the Falkland Islands [Malvinas]
to Bristol, England. After many years the hull has now been
restored and forms the basis of the splendid reconstruction
of the 1843
steamship SS Great Britain,
conceived by the Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel.
The masts and original rigging were cut down in the 1970