March - Sparrow Cove, Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. The
hulk of the Great Britain was beached here in Sparrow Cove in April 1937.
Originally built as a steamship and launched in 1843 the ship was a classic of
its time. The hulk of about 3000 tonnes was resting on the bottom and the tide
rose and ebbed without giving a movement that could be felt aboard. When the ship
was converted to sail in 1882 the iron hull was clad in pitch pine wood that discoloured
over the years. The natural waterway entrance to Stanley Harbour is in the distance
beyond a dark bed of kelp seaweed.
- Nikon F 35mm with Nikkor 5.8cm F1.4 lens. Film - Kodak Plus X Pan 1/250 second
F5.6. Light yellow filter x1. Developed by hand in Stanley in the darkroom of
local photographer John Leonard using Kodak Microdol at normal dilution.
- SSGB 69-01-33 © Marion Morrison
In 1970 the original hull designed and built by William Paterson was taken
from the Falkland Islands [Malvinas] to Bristol, England. After many years the
hull has now been restored and forms the basis of the splendid reconstruction
of the 1843
steamship SS Great Britain,
conceived by the Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The masts and original
rigging were cut down in the 1970 salvage.