March - Stanley, Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. Part
of the crest from the bow of the Great Britain. It is based on the shield
in the coat of arms of the British monarchy. Dating from 1843 this piece of carved
oak was found washed-up on a beach in Sparrow Cove near the hulk. Originally the
crest was gilded but after an unknown time in the sea the colours have gone. Early
photos taken in Stanley show the crest was in place before 1937. This is the Scottish
lion rampant from what remains of the top right hand side of the crest. When new
it would have been red on a white background. This picture was taken in the living
room of a Stanley home.
- Nikon F 35mm with Nikkor 5.8cm F1.4 lens. Film - Kodak Plus X Pan 1/30 second
F5.6 . Developed by hand in Stanley in the darkroom of local photographer John
Leonard using Kodak Microdol at normal dilution.
- SSGB 69-07-37© Marion Morrison
1970 the original hull designed and built by William Paterson was taken from the
Falkland Islands [Malvinas] to Bristol, England. After many years the hull has
now been restored and forms the basis of the splendid reconstruction of the 1843
steamship SS Great Britain,
conceived by the Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The crest is now
the ship's museum.