March - Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. The
hulk of the Great Britain was beached in Sparrow Cove about 3.5 miles from
Stanley in 1937. The ship was built as a steamship but in the early 1880s was
converted to sail. The masts have been described as the largest of their kind
ever made. The huge spar on the mainmast is just visible.This view from the bow
looks to the 95 foot high, 18 tonne foremast. We found that the 'weather deck'
which was new in 1882 was treacherous to walk on and some more recent decking
just in front of the camera was totally rotten and lichen covered.
- Nikon F 35mm with Nikkor 28mm F3.5 lens. Film - Kodak Plus X Pan 1/250 second
F8. Developed by hand in Stanley in the darkroom of local photographer John Leonard
using Kodak Microdol at normal dilution.
- SSGB 69-06-18 © Marion Morrison
1970 the original hull designed and built by William Paterson was taken from the
Falkland Islands [Malvinas] to Bristol, England. After many years the hull has
now been restored and forms the basis of the splendid reconstruction of the 1843
steamship SS Great Britain,
conceived by the Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The masts and original
rigging were cut down in the 1970 salvage.