March - Stanley, Falkland Islands [Malvinas]. Part
of the crest from the bow of the Great Britain. It is based on the shield
in the coat of arms of the British monarchy. Dating from 1843 this piece of carved
oak was found washed-up on a beach in Sparrow Cove near the hulk. Originally the
crest was gilded but after an unknown time in the sea the colours have gone. Early
photos taken in Stanley show the crest was in place before 1937.The wood was carved
as a slightly convex oval divided in four with the Scottish lion rampant in the
top right and three English lions passant in the bottom right. The carved letters
at the bottom are from the motto Hon y soit qui mal y pense.This picture was
taken in the living room of a Stanley home.
- MPP Microflex Twin Lens Reflex with F3.5 77.5mm Taylor Taylor Hobson lens. Film
Ilford HP4 at F8 - 1/30 second. Developed by hand in Stanley in the darkroom of
John Leonard a local photographer using Kodak Microdol at normal dilution.
- SSGB 69-03 © Tony Morrison
1970 the original hull designed and built by William Paterson was taken from the
Falkland Islands [Malvinas] to Bristol, England. After many years the hull has
now been restored and forms the basis of the splendid reconstruction of the 1843
steamship SS Great Britain,
conceived by the Victorian engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel. The crest is now
the ship's museum.