Falkland Islands (Malvinas).
The carvings on the wooden transom of the beached hulk of the Charles Cooper,
an American wood built ship of 800 tons. The ship arrived in the Falkland Islands
in 1866 leaking and needing repairs. Deemed as too expensive to make good and
so like many ships the Charles Cooper ended her life in the natural shelter
of Stanley Harbour. This stern transom surviving in situ was a wonderful
example of 19th century maritime carving. The central shield is divided in the
form of a St.Andrew's cross and bears fleur de lis. The shield on the right
has seven stars and vertical stripes. The shield on the left was very weathered.
When Marion took this picture the Charles Cooper was the best preserved
of the old wooden hulls lying in Stanley harbour and at one time maritime archaeologists
wanted to move the hulk to a museum in the USA. But it did not happen. Only part
of the hull has survived and is kept on the shore. (2015)
to John Smith, Stanley in 1969 for help with the description
Nikon F 35mm Single Lens Reflex with Nikkor 50 mm F 1.4 lens. Film - Kodak Plus
X Pan 1/500 second F5.6. Developed by hand in Stanley in the darkroom of local
photographer John Leonard using Kodak Microdol at normal dilution.
- Falkland Islands 6770 /03 - 14© Marion Morrison